Skip to main content

Reflections for Next Year...

It's hard to believe that the end of the year is so close, yet entirely believable.  I apologize for not writing in so very long, but with extra curricular activities (such as the school play) I found myself scrounging for time to get everything done. That being said, I've been thinking about ways to improve my lessons, and what I want to incorporate into next year. I'm compiling a list, but would really appreciate some feedback/tips as well. :)

1.) TPRS

- This is something I'm really interested in utilizing in my classes next year. I like the idea, but I can't help but have some concerns:

  • How do I learn to incorporate this the right way without any formal professional development on the matter?
  • What if one day I'm sick, or exhausted? How do I have the energy to implement this?
  • How will my students react to this format? Sometimes I feel they think Spanish is tougher than their other classes already. 
  • How can I be sure that my students will learn & become proficient in the vocabulary that they need for high school? (I'm in jr. high setting)
2.) Homework

- I just take this for completion, and it's only 10% of the students' grade.  Does it really benefit them? On one hand, I like them taking the time to practice, but on the other, I don't feel it's benefiting them. I also don't know if there's a better way to grade it.

  • I'm debating providing students with "Real World Homework " or
  • Getting rid of homework all together. 
3.) Proficiency grading

-I would LOVE to implement this. I have attended some workshops on how to begin this, but again, I think it's more of how do I want to implement this. 
  • I love CREATIVE LANGUAGE CLASS' information on proficiency grading, but I'm in the jr. high format. I feel that they need a more basic rubric, that is simplified. 
  • Administration has strict guidelines in our district about accepting late work, and students completing re-do exams. I've struggled with keeping tests/assessments valid. I do feel this would help this. 
4.) Pen-Pals

--My counter part and I did start pen-pals with our students. We sent them inner-office mail to each other. What an amount of work! We had to make copies of original letters, and then responses in case of students losing them. 
  • How can I incorporate technology into this? ePals doesn't seem too user friendly. 
  • Do I want to use a blog instead? How can I do this?

These are just some ideas that are swirling around in my head for next year. I do want to share some AMAZING teacher's blogs that I follow religiously. I especially LOVE Señora Dentlinger's. She shares so much! I love implementing her ideas/work into class. I feel as though she inspires me! 



HAVE A GREAT BEGINNING OF SUMMER! It's so close...:)

¡Hasta luego! 
Srta. Libertad






Comments

  1. I'm right there with you!! I want to incorporate all of these things, I just don't know how and I'm so crazy that it needs to be done the "right" way or not at all. I have tried the Real World homework, though. I loved it and some kids did too, but most didn't complete 100 points and there was a lot of cheating so I stopped. This year I may do something less stressful and use vocabulary task cards as homework assignments. I'm not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't implemented the "real world homework", but I have done a reevaluation of my homework. I'm following the "two week model", so I don't give homework the first night of study. It seems to be working well. I feel as though I'll know better after I've gone through a whole unit with both of my sections. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School Blessing!

What?! Already?! Yesterday in church, we received the "back to school blessing" for teachers and students. It seems like summer just started, especially because we had a lot of snow days this winter. At any rate, I thought I'd share some ideas that I've been creating for this upcoming school year. What does my grade mean poster? On certain in-class assignments, I assign students a check system. It's something that I started doing, mostly because my cooperating teacher did this when she graded. I don't like to do this for everything, but when I was looking through Pinterest this summer, I saw this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/282389839110118519/ *please reference the pin above, I'm not sure who created this, so if you know, please let me know!* It made me realize, this is basically what I've been doing. So I've created this . It reminds of a proficiency based scale at the bare minimum. I don't use as many numbers, as I use symbols

Classroom setup día 1

I FINALLY made it into my room to really get into setup. I went in last week to bring some stuff, but I spent a good 3 hours there today. So I thought I'd share some of my new creations. One of my bulletin boards. This is just a beginning of the year one. I include famous Spanish-speaking celebrities, with some quotes around their faces. Then I include some common careers where Spanish can be helpful! I decided to make a 1 MINUTE UNTIL DISMISSAL  sign(s) that I found on Pinterest here .  No where near as together, but I like the setup for now. Then I decided I needed a   "Voice-O-Meter" (Contador de la voz) .  This is a change-up from my stop-light format I used last year. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to leave it one the ribbon. Finally, I really liked all the elementary ed curtains I saw on Pinterest, but thought this might be a good idea to top my blinds: PAPEL PICADO! :) I just liked the way that my back white board looked, so

Cuaderno Interactivo Estudiantil (Interactive Student Notebook -ISN)

Well I can't pretend that the last couple of weeks haven't been INSANELY busy. This weekend is much needed. This year I've decided to teach my jr. high kiddos with an Interactive Student Notebook, or as we say in Spanish: Cuaderno Interactivo Estudiantil. If you're interested in setting up one up, here's a great site that I used: http://everybodyisageniusblog.blogspot.com/p/interactive-notebooks.html   It is a LOT of work putting together the notebooks, and we've had our classes reduced by 20 minutes this year. However, what I love the most about this, is that it's challenging me as a teacher to come up with new, unique ideas. I find that I'M enjoying this as well. My advanced students are more vocal about this than my intro, but they seem to love it. Here's some pics of my notebook (I use this to teach the students): Front cover This is the syllabus page. This is a page that I created for Subject Pronouns.  Also, I